[Ads-l] Snasu (variant), was Re: Antedating of "Snafu" by Barry Popik

Tue Nov 24 23:33:19 UTC 2020

JL's message of 5:20 included a link to a list of strange scientific
species names, including:
*Myzocallis kahawaluokalani* Kirkaldy, 1907 (an aphid; in Hawaiian, the
name supposedly means "you fish on your side of the lagoon and I'll fish on
the other, and no one will fish in the middle")

I have seen that derivation offered for the name of Lake Memphremagog in
northern Vermont.  Wikipedia explains the name thus:
Memphremagog was also pronounced as "Mamphremagog". This came from the
Abenakis' <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abenaki_people> *Mamlawbagak* which
signifies "a long and large sheet of water". The prefix *mamlaw* denotes
largeness or abundance; the particule *baga* denotes water; and "k" marks
the name as given in local term.

I have no idea where I saw this.

GAT

On Tue, Nov 24, 2020 at 5:20 PM Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Perhaps of interest, from 2006. Check the archives for some context:
>

> > "CYA" and "FTA" are not only genuine, they're very well documented.
> Also familiar to HDAS are BOHICA, BUFF, (FT) EUSTIS, DILLIGAF, FIDO, FIGMO,
> FNG, FUBAR, HMFIC, I&I, MRE, OMGIF, PFC, SNAFU, SWAG, TARFU, USMC ("Uncle
> Sam's Misguided Children"). Some of these go back to WWII.
>
> >Still others that come to mind are DILLIGAS ("...a shit"), WTF?, USMC
> ("Uncle Sam's Moldy Crotch"), FUJIGMO ("Fuck you, Jack, I Got My Orders"),
> FUBIS ("...Buddy, I'm Shipping"), TARFUBAR, SUSFU ("Situation Unchanged,
> Still...").
>
> >There's a chigger whose scientific monicker is _Tribicula fujigmo_.  For
> details, as well as other bizarre Linnaean names (including the fly
> _Phthiria relativitae_), see [
> https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.faculty.ucr.edu_-7Eheraty_menke.html&d=DwIFaQ&c=slrrB7dE8n7gBJbeO0g-IQ&r=v2Wtu7DQZxSBMSJv-oEMNg&m=OdadWhMvHQPYUJNwmzLJiMyK0fUAxFjkgRQa0m96Elc&s=STMhEdXZdEWWmsDUhg8GMAjw5b1uX3K9lm8tRfumRm4&e=
> ].<
>
> I omitted "DILLIGAF."
>
> American Notes & Queries also has a "SNAFU" from 1941.
>

> JL
>

> On Tue, Nov 24, 2020 at 4:57 PM ADSGarson O'Toole <
> adsgarsonotoole at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Thanks Stephen. I agree that the "snasu" variant is interesting. Many
> > thanks, Ben, for locating my message about "snasu" from the
> > antediluvian age.
> >
> > I just located an interesting instance of "S N A F U" in March 1940.
> > Unfortunately, this "S N A F U" might be illusory. See the following
> > description.
> >
> > Date: March 12, 1940
> > Newspaper: Detroit Evening Times
> > Newspaper Location: Detroit, Michigan
> > Section: Detroit Times Daily Magazine Page
> > Article: Wishing Well (puzzle)
> > Quote Page 12, Column 5
> > Database: Newspapers.com
> > Database: British Newspaper Archive
> > Database: GenealogyBank
> >
> > [Begin excerpt]
> > WISHING WELL
> >
> > 4 3 6 5 8 2 4 6 7 3 5 8 4
> > B A S N A F U U R C E C Y
> >
> > 2 6 7 3 8 4 6 5 8 7 2 4 6
> > L C E O T T C W O U A H E
> >
> > 4 3 6 5 7 8 4 2 6 8 3 5 6
> > E M S I N N U T S I P N I
> > [End excerpt]
> >
> > Above are the top six rows from a puzzle with 14 rows. The puzzle
> > contains the following contiguous sequence of five letters "S N A F
> > U". The puzzle also contains the following sequence "N U T S".
> >
> > It is possible that a mischievous puzzle constructor deliberately
> > inserted "S N A F U" and "N U T S". However, the solution to the
> > puzzle is unrelated to these sequences, so I guess we have to assume
> > that these sequences were simply coincidental.
> >
> > I also came across another variant acronym "Susfu" with a June 1942
> > citation. The meaning is not explained in this citation, but I found
> [...]

George A. Thompson
Univ. Pr., 1998.

But when aroused at the Trump of Doom / Ye shall start, bold kings, from
your lowly tomb. . .
L. H. Sigourney, "Burial of Mazeen", Poems.  Boston, 1827, p. 112

The Trump of Doom -- also known as The Dunghill Toadstool.  (Here's a
picture of his great-grandfather.)
http://www.parliament.uk/worksofart/artwork/james-gillray/an-excrescence---a-fungus-alias-a-toadstool-upon-a-dunghill/3851