[Ads-l] Jumbo (Size/Quantity)

Barretts Mail mail.barretts at GMAIL.COM
Wed Nov 25 01:36:13 UTC 2020

Here are some possibilities for the origin of the elephant Jumbo’s name:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jumbo <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jumbo>
http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2015/02/word-jumbocome/ <http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2015/02/word-jumbocome/>

The Wikipedia article dates Jumbo the elephant’s birthday to around December 25, 1860, and his name to around 1865, with three possible origins.

However, perhaps more likely for the origin of the elephant’s name is "Punch, or the London Charivari” (vol 38, April 1960), which has a poem named “Mumbo Jumbo” on page 162 and a cartoon of a bull on page 163 (https://tinyurl.com/y3j77t5z <https://tinyurl.com/y3j77t5z>).

This cartoon is described (https://tinyurl.com/y2lb7ya4 <https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-mumbo-jumbo-political-cartoon-about-the-pope-threatening-victor-emmanuel-51660804.html>) as Pope (Pius IX) threatening to excommunicate Victor Emmanuel II, which Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pope_Pius_IX#End_of_the_Papal_States <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pope_Pius_IX#End_of_the_Papal_States>) describes. In the cartoon, one of the characters says, “Ah! ç'est bien drôle” (Oh, it’s very funny).

Benjamin Barrett (he/his/him)
Formerly of Seattle, WA