[Ads-l] Mumbo Jumbo

Barretts Mail mail.barretts at GMAIL.COM
Wed Nov 25 18:01:26 UTC 2020

"Histoire Genéralé des Voyages Depuis Le Commencement du VXe Siécle” (vol 4, 1747, https://tinyurl.com/y3n8hfqs <https://tinyurl.com/y3n8hfqs>, p. 232) mentions mumbo jumbo in connection with the Mandingos (Mandinkas).
The Mandinkan connection is also mentioned in "The SAGE Encyclopedia of African Cultural Heritage in North America" (https://tinyurl.com/y5g56d47 <https://tinyurl.com/y5g56d47>).

I did not see either of the words in a dictionary of Mandinka at http://resourcepage.gambia.dk/langabot.htm <http://resourcepage.gambia.dk/langabot.htm>, but maybe it is there in a different form.

See also https://tinyurl.com/y52phtnj <https://tinyurl.com/y52phtnj>. “Mama” is in the dictionary.

FWIW