[Ads-l] Geoffrey Nunberg R.I.P.

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu Nov 26 00:39:21 UTC 2020

Thanks, Fred. Yes, Geoff was an exemplary linguist, public intellectual, and human being (and, in my case, third-grade classmate), with a publication record extending from books on political language and punctuation to one on assholism (well, OK, that one is not unpolitical).  Here’s Richard Sandomir’s obit for him in the Times:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/22/books/geoffrey-nunberg-dead.html

And one on Language Log by Mark Liberman, with fond memories and thoughts from Ben Z. and others:
https://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/nll/?p=48087

LH