[Ads-l] vague Great Scott note

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Sun Oct 4 11:06:32 UTC 2020

Thanks, Stephen. That cite is probably as close to the facts as it's
possible to get. Rick James was another person whose speech had the /grV-/
> [drV-] feature.

Renaming oneself either seriously or facetiously after a famous person is
still done today and even crosses the color bar. After Floyd Patterson
punched out Ingemar Johansson to regain the heavyweight title, a white
barracks-mate changed his name to "Floyd Patterson." Unofficially, of
course, but he wouldn't respond to anyone below the rank of sergeant who
addressed him as either "Bill" or "Loges." Very surprising, considering
that this was back in 1960 and he was from New Jersey, the last Northern
state to free its slaves.

On Thu, Oct 1, 2020 at 7:37 AM Stephen Goranson <goranson at duke.edu> wrote:

> News to me, Wilson.
> But, vaguely, apparently related to a play in which Akwasi Agyemang played
> Dred Scott, an online text claims: "During some time while in Saint Louis
> Sam changed his name to Dred Scott, or 'Great Scott,' a joke comparing his
> small height to General Winfield's large size."
>
> Stephen
>

> http://gallery.carnegiefoundation.org/collections/castl_k12/hlyne/akwasi_ds.pdf

-Wilson
-----