[Ads-l] Quote: God in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability

Tue Oct 27 11:43:33 UTC 2020

The remark in the subject line has been attributed to Oscar Wilde. The
inquiry I received on this topic included a 1940 citation which I was
unable to improve upon.

The quotation appeared in "Oscar Wilde and the Black Douglas" (1940).
"Black Douglas" referred to John Douglas, 9th Marquess of Queensberry
whose actions initiated the downfall and ultimately the death Oscar
Wilde. The book was coauthored by John Douglas's grandson Francis
Douglas, 11th Marquess of Queensberry.

Many thanks to Bonnie Taylor-Blake who was able to access scans of
"Oscar Wilde and the Black Douglas".

Here is a link to the QI article.
https://quoteinvestigator.com/2020/10/27/overestimate/

Citations before 1940 or other pertinent evidence would be welcome.
Garson O'Toole