[Ads-l] WOTY candidate: unhoused

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed Sep 2 00:31:23 UTC 2020

I would argue that at least the second example is a verbal participle, based on the verb “unhouse” ‘to be removed from one's house/housing’ rather than a negative adjective ‘not housed’, i.e. ‘homeless’. The former reading is parallel to “unhorsed” = ‘removed from one’s horse’.  (Compare "unwrapped” as the past tense or past participle of the verb “unwrap” vs. the adjective “not wrapped”.)  The first of Amy’s examples is ambiguous, but I think the more plausible reading is again the reversative or what is sometimes called the ablative verb, again I understand Rep. Bush to be talking about suffering eviction, i.e. a change of state, rather than simple homelessness, but it could be read the other way, especially if we didn’t have the latter example.

LH