[Ads-l] Antedating of "Folk-Etymology"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon Sep 7 15:14:36 UTC 2020

Nice, Fred.  Out of curiosity, which I assume isn’t solely mine, could you supply enough of the context to clarify the examples the author had in mind here?  I seem to recall that “folk(-)etymology” is a calque from the German, but it would still be interesting to know the earliest cited examples of the phenomenon in an English-language context.

LH