[Ads-l] Antedating of "Infrared"

Chris Waigl chris at LASCRIBE.NET
Mon Sep 7 23:25:38 UTC 2020

Hi Fred,

This is great - the electromagnetic spectrum is something I teach, and
having some historical texture to the topic helps.

I poked at the titles you cited in Google Books a little more and found
quite a few mentions of M. de Saint-Florent in the tables of
contents, mostly for a color photography process he apparently invented. He
shows up as "E. de Saint-Florent" and "Lieut.-Col. de Saint-Florent". I
then looked in the catalogue of the French national library, but the only
name that is from approximately the right time is Alfred Vignaud Dupuy de
Saint-Florent, a medical doctor born in 1868 who wrote a treatise about I
think Huntington's disease or a similar neurological affliction ("La chorée
congénitale"). "Alfred" would be the (first) given name, and "Vignaud Dupuy
de Saint-Florent" the family name. Big-ass nobility. The family seems to
still exist. There's, going backwards, a Napoleonian general
called François Dupuy de Saint-Florent 1772-1838 who, according to this bio
http://nieuletalentoursenlimousin.fr/archive/militaires-francois-dupuy-de-st-florent/
adopted a nephew called Antoine Télesphore Vignaud, and I guess it's his
descendents who go by the mouthful Vignaud Dupuy de Saint-Florent.

Anyhoo, none of this tells us who E. was. This page
https://www.mesarchitecture.org/infrared.html follows your footsteps,
probably, but must have some extra sources: "The phrase infra-rouge was
translated into English as “infrared” in 1874, in a translation of an
article by Vignaud Dupuy de Saint-Florent (1830-1907), an engineer within
the French army, who attained the rank of lieutenant colonel and who
pursued pictures as a pastime."

Chris

Chris Waigl . chris.waigl at gmail.com . chris at lascribe.net
http://eggcorns.lascribe.net . http://chryss.eu