[Ads-l] WOTY candidate: "self-cancel"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed Sep 9 18:27:45 UTC 2020

Not sure if this will catch on, but…

https://www.theblaze.com/news/white-professor-lying-about-black-identity

“I absolutely cancel myself”

Jessica A. Krug, a history professor at George Washington University, "canceled" herself Thursday after admitting in a Medium post to falsely claiming a black identity for much of her professional life.

"For the better part of my adult life, every move I've made, every relationship I've formed, has been rooted in the napalm toxic soil of lies," Krug wrote at the opening of the bizarre post titled, "The Truth, and the Anti-Black Violence of My Lies."

"To an escalating degree over my adult life," she continued. "I have eschewed my lived experience as a white Jewish child in suburban Kansas City under various assumed identities within a Blackness that I had no right to claim: first North African Blackness, then US rooted Blackness, then Caribbean rooted Bronx Blackness.”

(OK, she didn’t use “self-cancel” in this piece, but at least Trevor Noah did on last night’s “The Daily Show” in reference to Prof. Krug.)

LH