[Ads-l] Word: twindemic

Sat Sep 12 05:54:35 UTC 2020

Nancy Friedman wrote:
> I wrote about "twindemic" and other novel corona-words on August 20, citing
> an August 16 New York Times article. (Scroll down the post.)
>
> https://nancyfriedman.typepad.com/away_with_words/2020/08/coronacoinages-iv.html

Thanks for your response, Nancy. Excellent work on coronacoinages.

In 1869 the phrase "twin epidemics" was employed in a discussion of
cholera and yellow fever.

Date: June 28, 1869
Newspaper: The New York Times
Newspaper Location: New York, New York
Article: Cholera and Yellow Fever Among Cuban Volunteers
Quote Page 4, Column 6
Database: Newspapers.com

[Begin excerpt]
At the same time the telegraph informs us that cholera and yellow
fever are raging in Cuba to such an extent as to have effected a tacit
trace between the contending armies in that island.
. . . common humanity requires that they should cease their efforts
for the recruitment of volunteers in this country, who, unacclimated
as they are, will in a majority of cases of those who succeed in
reaching Cuba at all, fall easy victims to the twin epidemics which
are now rapidly decimating both armies.
[End excerpt]

In 2012 "twin-demic" appeared in the title of a New Zealand newspaper
article discussing mothers giving birth to a large number of twins.