[Ads-l] "judged by 12"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Mon Sep 14 00:11:50 UTC 2020

1980  _The Sun_ (Baltimore) (June 22) B1: He reminds the men that it takes
only a fraction of a second to be blown away, while an officer worries
about whether to draw a service revolver and fire it.  "There's an old
saying," the [police]  lieutenant advises, "Better to be judged by 12 than
carried by 6."

1996 W. F. Strong _Persuasion: Strategies for Public Influence_  (Dubuque:
Kendall/Hunt) 179: When the student asked his uncle if he would shoot
another intruder, he said, "Yes, I would rather be judged by 12 than
carried by 6."

2020 Quora.com: No matter what I had to do to survive, I told myself I was
going to do it, and worry about the ethical and emotional fallout later.  Or,
as my infantry brethren say, “It’s better to be judged by 12 than carried
by 6.”

JL