[Ads-l] Antedating of "Yippie"

Mon Sep 14 05:08:18 UTC 2020

Fred Shapiro wrote:
>  Yippie (OED 1968 Apr.)
>
> Jan. 1968, The Realist, article written by Paul Krassner, pg. 21, col. 2:
> Coincidental with the Democrats' Convention there's going to be a
> Youth International Party -- YIP -- and Chicago will be invaded by a
> mass of _yippies_.

Way back during October 2000, Barry Popik found the same crucial
citation for "yippies" in "The Realist" and shared it with the ADS
list.

http://listserv.linguistlist.org/pipermail/ads-l/2000-October/009807.html

But there was a wrinkle. The date for the citation was specified as
August 1967, and that date was not quite right. Indeed, determining
the correct dates for issues of "The Realist" can be tricky. (That is
the point of this message.)

Here is a link to the page of "The Realist" that contains the word
"yippies" in column 2. At the bottom of the scanned page it says
August 1967.

http://www.ep.tc/realist/76/21.html

Here is a link to page one of the issue containing the word "yippies".
A note at the top reveals that the issue was really published in
January 1968.

http://www.ep.tc/realist/76/index.html

Flash forward to November 2009 when I unknowingly followed the same
path as Barry and found the same "yippie" citation, but I noticed that
determining the correct date was complicated. (Fred must have noticed
this also.) So I presented the citation as follows:

http://listserv.linguistlist.org/pipermail/ads-l/2009-November/094529.html

[Begin citation from 2009 message]
The Realist, page 21, column 2, Revolution for the Hell of It: Reason,
Let Us Come Together by Paul Krassner, (The date of the issue is
nominally August 1967 but actually January 1968. A note on the front
page says "We're a little late, folks … This is the August 1967 issue
being published in January '68 of the Realist (the magazine of cherry
pie and violence)")

Coincidental with the Democrats' Convention there's going to be a
Youth International Party -- YIP -- and Chicago will be invaded by a
mass of yippies. You've just witnessed the birth of a word.
[End citation]

Here is a link to Barry's article on this topic:
https://www.barrypopik.com/index.php/new_york_city/entry/yippie

Garson