[Ads-l] New word - Casedemic

Peter Reitan pjreitan at HOTMAIL.COM
Mon Sep 21 23:58:05 UTC 2020

Casedemic - an epidemic of reported cases, not necessarily associated
with actual illnesses or other indicia at a level indicative of a
current or persisting epidemic or pandemic.

Frequently used as a hashtag - #casedemic.

Earliest example on Twitter. Myles Hocking @myleshocking, July 29, 2020,
9:30 AM.
https://mobile.twitter.com/myleshocking/status/1288512340091166724

"It's a casedemic now not a deadly-epidemic . . . I see you haven't
tweeted death stats for weeks.  The 2009/9 flu had a big test surge see
below.  In short lots of testing, not much dying. Taken from @FatEmperor
podcast https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBRcK-od50Q  "

I haven't listened to the referenced hour-and-some-odd minute podcast on
YouTube to see whether the word is used there, but another early example
appears to quote him.  It was posted to YouTube on July 28.

Kulvinder Kaur MD @dockaurG, August 5, 2020, 8:09 AM.
https://mobile.twitter.com/dockaurG/status/1291028579363500033

"The epidemic existed - that is a separate point.  It is over. We now
have a #Casedemic.  A Casedemic neurosis fuels hysteria, and is
anti-scientific in nature." - @FatEmperor."