[Ads-l] "Hella" in the Bay Area Reporter, 1982-85 (was Re: Hella research inquiry)

Ben Zimmer bgzimmer at GMAIL.COM
Tue Sep 29 01:17:49 UTC 2020

Following Peter Reitan's lead, I checked the Internet Archive for San
Francisco Bay Area sources from the '80s and came across some important
"hella" antedatings. In the Bay Area Reporter, a weekly alternative
newspaper serving the LGBT community, there are several examples of "hella"
used as both an adverb and adjective dating all the way back to 1982, four
years earlier than what had previously been found. Below are examples from
'82, '83, '84, and '85, all from the same Oakland-based columnist who used
the pen name "Nez Pas." That further reinforces the idea that "hella"
originated in the East Bay (as suggested by later examples, like those from
James Hetfield and Too $hort in '86).

According to this article, the real name of "Nez Pas" is Peter Palm:
https://www.ebar.com/entertainment/culture/173481
"And to keep up on the lively bar scene in the East Bay, there was a column
by Nez Pas, known in real life as Peter Palm, the co-owner of Revol at 3924
Telegraph with his partner Ralph Tate. Nez Pas kept his readers up on the
community events in Oakland, Walnut Creek and Hayward."

Here are the cites:

----
https://archive.org/details/BAR_19820311/page/n15/mode/2up
Bay Area Reporter, Mar. 11, 1982, p. 17, col. 3
Nez Pas, "Oakland: Chuck of Montclair"
Until next time with the bits and pieces, take the time to find out about
someone... you just might be "hella surprised!"
----
https://archive.org/details/BAR_19831027/page/n19/mode/2up
Bay Area Reporter, Oct. 27, 1983, p. 21, col. 1
Nez Pas, "Oakland: Buckle Your Seat Belts"
Graham promises a lot of entertainment on video screens throughout both
bars, scrumptious victuals, "hella" contests, and mucho prizes!
----
https://archive.org/details/BAR_19841025/page/n19/mode/2up
Bay Area Reporter, Oct. 25, 1984, p. 21, col. 1
Nez Pas, "Oakland: Royal Summit, Meet the Monarchs"
Third: Lengthy, drawn-out cants aren't necessary in raising "hella" bucks.
----
https://archive.org/details/BAR_19850307/page/n17/mode/2up
Bay Area Reporter, Mar. 7, 1985, p. 19, col. 2
Nez Pas, "Oakland: Kudos Galore"
And speaking of March 10, a "hella" interest is being shown in the "Wizard
of Oz Party" at Big Mama's that date.
----

--bgz