[Ads-l] "Lagniappe" (slight antedating, 1846)

Bonnie Taylor-Blake b.taylorblake at GMAIL.COM
Sat Apr 3 12:44:11 UTC 2021

I haven't gone looking for more recent research disputing that proposed
origin, but I'm sharing Joseph E. Gillet's 1939 note in American Speech on
this, mostly because I was delighted by his introductory paragraphs. (The
following link will be good for about about a week. I hope that the
American Dialect Society and Duke University Press will overlook my sharing
this PDF without prior permission just this once.)

http://www.med.unc.edu/uploads/bbjhf.jegilletle.pdf

(Oh, and a thank-you goes to Garson O'Toole for finding a slightly earlier
1846 appearance in print.)

-- Bonnie

Is the suggested etymology at the Wiki-entry and alluded to in the spelling