[Ads-l] Strip Poker antedated (?)

James Eric Lawson jel at NVENTURE.COM
Sun Apr 4 19:47:24 UTC 2021

The "new" (in contrast to "strip poker") game in Parsons, Kansas, at
least according to an article from the _Coffeyville Record_ reprinted in
_The Tulsa Chief_ of 12 Jul 1904, was "dress euchre":

<extract>
A New Game at Parsons

Now watch the good old dames of Parsons get on their ear and dance.
Invitations have been issued by a society lady there for a "dress
euchre" party. "Dress euchre" is played like "strip poker." After each
hand the player removes an article of clothing. The one who has the most
clothes on at the end of the game gets the booby prize. It would seem
that the only drawback to this game for society ladies would be that a
game could not last long. A new game would have to be begun every four
or five hands.--Coffeyville Record
</extract>

--
James Eric Lawson