[Ads-l] Strip Euchre (was Strip Poker antedated (?))

James Eric Lawson jel at NVENTURE.COM
Mon Apr 5 07:18:31 UTC 2021

'Strip euchre' (mentioned in Peter Reitan's interesting post about
'strip poker'), as viewed through the scratched and clouded lens of the
current newspapers.com database, appeared as early as 1886, and enjoyed
a brief vogue in 1904, the same year and general geographical area
(midwestern states) where 'strip poker' makes its first (perhaps)
appearance (discounting the Exeter Academy use, which is likely that of
a student transplanted from the midwest).

I didn't examine the details of each 1904 appearance, but there seem to
have been 40 in Oklahoma, 1 in Arkansas, and 10 in Kansas. Two unique
uses (that is, not in republished articles) in 1903 were in the
_Manhattan Mercury_ (Kansas).

Appearances in the 19th century, which include republications of the
article cited below, were also in the midwest: Iowa (1, 1894), Illinois
(2, 1886 and 1894), Indiana (4, 1886), Kentucky (1, 1886), and Kansas
(7, 1894).

<extract>
A new and somewhat novel game of euchre has made its appearance in this
city. In fact, it has been in the city for some time, and is known as
strip euchre. The nature of the game is, as we have been informed, as
many as wish to engage in it sit around a table, and every time one is
beaten he has to remove some article of clothing.
<place>Fort Wayne, Indiana
<paper>The Fort Wayne Sentinel
<date>25 Mar 1886
<page>4
<column>3
</extract>
https://www.newspapers.com/image/29088106/?terms=%22strip%20euchre%22&match=1

All the uses of 'strip euchre' are slightly later than the first
instance I found of 'full dress euchre' (1885) and concurrent with
'fancy dress euchre', both of which denote a type of social gathering
centered on playing euchre while dressed up.

--
James Eric Lawson