[Ads-l] "Who was Kilroy?" June 26, 1945 (in-print antedating?)

Bill Mullins amcombill at HOTMAIL.COM
Mon Apr 5 20:33:43 UTC 2021

> I wondered: When did a Kilroy-like picture first appear? What name was
> first assigned to the Kilroy-like picture?

I've seen a recent Kilroy-like picture that may be of interest.

The context was a hand-written sign encouraging people to wear masks properly.  The text was something along the lines of "Wearing your mask below your nose is like wearing your underwear below your [penis]."

It was illustrated with a crude drawing of a pair of jockey briefs on a torso, worn low, with a penis hanging over the top of the waist band.

The drawing was similar to, and clearly inspired by, Kilroy peeking over a wall.