[Ads-l] Able Was I Ere I Saw Elba

Margaret Winters mewinters at WAYNE.EDU
Wed Apr 7 01:23:48 UTC 2021

And then there is the simplicity of Madam I'm Adam with a bit of handwaving over an apostrophe.

----------------------------
MARGARET E WINTERS
Former Provost
Professor Emerita - French and Linguistics
Wayne State University
Detroit, MI  48202

mewinters at wayne.edu

________________________________
From: American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU> on behalf of Laurence Horn <laurence.horn at YALE.EDU>
Sent: Tuesday, April 6, 2021 9:08 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Subject: Re: Able Was I Ere I Saw Elba

[EXTERNAL]

Or, avoiding the ampersand, retaining Taylor's archaic spelling, and taking advantage of the work by Crick & Watson with which he was unfamiliar,

LEWD DID I LIVE AND DNA-EVIL I DID DWEL

Still arguably not as elegant as

Doc, note: I dissent. A fast never prevents a fatness. I diet on cod.

—unless we’re insisting that the words themselves as well as the letters satisfy palindromicity, which of course would also rule out "A man, a plan, a canal—Panama!”, not to mention the ur-palindrome “Madam, I’m Adam”.

LH