[Ads-l] Efficiency is concerned with doing things right. Effectiveness is doing the right things

Sat Apr 10 04:19:26 UTC 2021

A correspondent asked me to explore the provenance of a saying similar
to the one in the subject line. The statement above appeared in
business guru Peter Drucker's 1974 book "Management". He penned a
similar remark in a May 1963 article in "Harvard Business Review". The
Quote Investigator website now has an article:

https://quoteinvestigator.com/2021/04/09/doing-right/

After I posted the QI article I noticed that Barry Popik had covered
the saying. The QI article has some different citations (like the
"Harvard Business Review" article and an 1869 precursor displaying the
same antimetabole), so I think it is still helpful.

https://www.barrypopik.com/index.php/new_york_city/entry/management_is_doing_things_right_leadership_is_doing_the_right_things

Garson