[Ads-l] Miscellany

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Mon Apr 19 15:03:29 UTC 2021

Earliest ex. of "wimpy"?   Dunno:

1943 Keith Ayling _Semper Fidelis_   (Boston: Houghton, Mifflin) 155: A
certain marine, Private Wendling -- "Wimpy Wendling," as Hurlbut dubbed
him. "Wimpy" was only five feet, six inches and weighed about a hundred and
forty. "He looks about as pugnacious as Caspar Milquetoast and has never
had a fistfight in all his twenty years," wrote Hurlbut. In civilian life,
Wimpy was employed by a greeting-card company.

If this is a simple application of the J. Wellington Wimpy name, it's odd
that there's no reference to hamburgers, obesity, cadging, or even a funny
mustache.

JL