[Ads-l] Venus Callipyga (and a colleague)

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Fri Apr 23 00:01:58 UTC 2021

In the same day’s paper (at least calculating from the printed version dropped off on our doorstep this morning), we have the semantically not unrelated “ecdysiastical” from an obit for Tempest Storm (not her real name, but apparently a happily chosen one):

"Routinely named in the same ardent breath as the great 20th-century ecdysiasts Lili St. Cyr, Blaze Starr and Gypsy Rose Lee, Ms. Storm was every inch as ecdysiastical as they, and for far longer.”
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/21/arts/tempest-storm-dead.html

Sticking to the adjective and adverb (without stripping down to the nominal “ecdysiast”), a search of the Times archives turns up (at least) two instances of “ecdysiastic” and one of “ecdysiastically” but none of “ecdysiastical”. This may be a “Times first”: https://www.reddit.com/r/NYTFirsts/comments/mvkxnc/ecdysiastical/.

OED has no entry for “ecdysiastical”, but helpful suggests I must have meant “ecclesiastical”.  Close enough for…well, you decide what sort of work. The OED does confirm (correctly?) that the nominal “ecdysiast” tracks back to a 1940 coinage by Mencken:

"It might be a good idea to relate strip-teasing in some way..to the associated zoölogical phenomenon of molting... A resort to the scientific name for molting, which is _ecdysis_, produces both _ecdysist_ and _ecdysiast_.”

LH