[Ads-l] da-dah! ta-dah! (was Re: Cap/Kap)

Peter Reitan pjreitan at HOTMAIL.COM
Wed Aug 4 22:12:28 UTC 2021

>From "The Common Sense of Music," by Sigmund Spaeth, Boni and Liveright
(1924), page 181, on HathiTrust.

[Begin excerpt]
"Harmonious Perfection.  You cannot add anything to that chord without
spoiling the effect, or simply repeating tones already marked 'present.'
  It is complete in itself, even though you can take a whole left hand
full of one-three-five-eight to give it more range and solidity.  It is
the chord that the minstrels play as the interlocutor says, 'Gentlemen,
be seated.'

It marks the finish of the bareback riding act in the circus, when the
beautiful lady leaps lightly to the tanbark from her well-upholstered
steed; and it has introduced many a stump speaker or political candidate
to a crowd far less harmonious than the band that stimulated its
enthusiasm."
[End Excerpt]

Accompanying the text is an illustration of a chord played twice, first
as a sixteenth note, followed by a hole note with a birdseye hold symbol
above it; the chord is a C major chord c-e-g-c starting at middle c in
treble cleff staff, and the two c's below middle c in the base cleff
staff; two words corresponding to the two consecutively played chords
appear above the chord - "TA-DAH!"

Onomatapoeia for two consecutively played chords which at some point
took on a particular meaning because of its repeated use preparatory to
or upon completion of certain types of performances - or borrowed from
the Kilongo word for behold - you be the judge.

This will be my final visit to this thread.

Ta-Dah!!!