[Ads-l] antedating "peckerwood"

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Mon Aug 9 21:50:14 UTC 2021

Amongst the colored, "peckerwood" is used pejoratively as a term of obloquy
for a white person or, literally, as the word for _woodpecker._ OTOH, as
currently used by white people, e.g. on TV - "Well, aren't you just the
cutest little peckerwood!" or similar, said by a woman without a Southern
accent to her sitcom-goof-up husband - as mentioned here, some years ago,
this term is merely a hypocoristic.

- Wilson
-----
-Mark Twain