[Ads-l] Young people: They riot in the streets inflamed with wild notions. Their morals are decaying

Sat Aug 14 14:49:11 UTC 2021

Thanks for your response, Stephen.
Bettelheim may be referring to an earlier quotation which has often
been incorrectly attributed to Plato which I examine here:

https://quoteinvestigator.com/2010/05/01/misbehave/

[ref] 1908, “Schools of Hellas: an Essay on the Practice and Theory of
Ancient Greek Education from 600 to 300 BC” by Kenneth John Freeman,
(First impression 1907), page 74, Macmillan and Co., London. (Google
Books full view, Internet Archive) [/ref]

[Begin excerpt]
The counts of the indictment are luxury, bad manners, contempt for
authority, disrespect to elders, and a love for chatter in place of
exercise. …

Children began to be the tyrants, not the slaves, of their households.
They no longer rose from their seats when an elder entered the room;
they contradicted their parents, chattered before company, gobbled up
the dainties at table, and committed various offences against Hellenic
tastes, such as crossing their legs. They tyrannised over the
paidagogoi and schoolmasters.
[End excerpt]

Garson