[Ads-l] Big Sky

Nancy Friedman wordworking at GMAIL.COM
Sun Aug 29 17:32:40 UTC 2021

Anyone else remember when the San Francisco 49ers tried to give star
quarterback Joe Montana the nickname "Big Sky"?

Wikipedia:

>>Montana earned the nickname "Joe Cool" for his ability to stay calm at
key moments, and "Comeback Kid" for his history of rallying his teams from
late-game deficits. His teammates in San Francisco called him "Bird Legs"
[70] <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Montana#cite_note-70>[71]
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Montana#cite_note-71> due to his very
thin legs and small calves. He was called "Golden Joe" because he played in
California (the Golden State), and also appeared on a poster superimposed
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superimposition> in front of the Golden Gate
Bridge <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_Gate_Bridge> with the wording
"The Golden Great".[72]
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Montana#cite_note-72> Two more names
were provided by a *San Francisco Chronicle
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Francisco_Chronicle>* nickname contest
early in his NFL career: the winner was "Big Sky", but another contestant
suggested that since "Joe Montana" already sounded like a nickname, Montana
needed a real name, and christened him "David W. Gibson".[73]
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Montana#cite_note-73> Montana liked the
Gibson name so much that he had it stenciled above his locker.<<

Nancy Friedman
Chief Wordworker
www.wordworking.com
http://nancyfriedman.typepad.com