[Ads-l] gamma squeeze

Mon Feb 1 02:17:34 UTC 2021

"short squeeze" is the old lameness
"gamma squeeze" is the new hotness
"pump and dump" is the perennial; soon to regain popularity, I expect

OED does have an entry for the stock market sense of "pump and dump".
It does not have entries for "short squeeze" or "gamma squeeze". This
is specialized vocabulary, but it is becoming more widely known.

An entry for "gamma squeeze" was created for Wikipedia on January 23, 2021‎.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamma_squeeze

Website: The Motley Fool
Article: What Is a Gamma Squeeze?
Author: Chuck Saletta (TMFBigFrog)
Timestamp: Jan 28, 2021 at 12:00PM
https://www.fool.com/investing/2021/01/28/what-is-a-gamma-squeeze/

The OED first cite for "pump and dump" is excellent, i.e., I could not
antedate it.

pump
PHRASES P1.

[Begin excerpt]
pump and dump  n. Stock Market (originally U.S.) a fraudulent scheme
in which a person or company promotes a low-value stock in order to
profit by selling shares at inflated prices; chiefly attributive.

1988   Wall St. Jrnl. 2 Feb. 1/6   For most promoters, the preferred
scam is ‘pump and dump’—pump up the per-share price with hot air and
hype, then dump the stock on duped investors for immense profits.
[End excerpt]