[Ads-l] [Non-DoD Source] Re: Jesse Sheidlower's New Dictionary

Jesse Sheidlower jester at PANIX.COM
Tue Feb 2 04:04:07 UTC 2021

Thanks to everyone for the kind statements, but regardless of the relative "wokeness" of old-fashioned scholarship at this time and place, my project does not merit any award, regardless. Jeff Prucher deservedly won it in 2008, building on the work of a lot of contributors; all I've really done is update all of that even further, based on a resource everyone now has at their fingertips. A dozen people on this list could have done the same thing, with a lot of spare time and a modicum of programming skills.

Obviously I do think it's a useful resource, and I hope others do as well, and I'd love it if people continued to contribute (there have been many suggestions for missing terms already, and one previous volunteer has returned to submit a bunch of postdatings). And if it helps educate people about historical lexicography, or bibliographic details, that'll be good enough for me.

Jesse Sheidlower

P.S. And yeah, John W. Campbell was an asshole.