[Ads-l] dad joke

James Eric Lawson jel at NVENTURE.COM
Sun Feb 7 08:15:52 UTC 2021

At least as early as 1961 in The Vancouver Sun (Vancouver, British
Columbia, Canada) 02 Nov, p 1 col 1, bottom. It might be a typo, but if
memory serves newspapers employed real copy editors at the time:

Dad Joke: Our Regular $1.85 Quality -- Now only $1.19!
Mrs. A.: "And what did your husband give you for your birthday,
  Mrs. B.?"
Mrs. B.: "He said it was something he'd always wanted to get for me -- a
  briar pipe and a pound of tobacco."

https://www.newspapers.com/image/492533761/?terms=%22a%20dad%20joke%22&match=1

Not my idea of the contemporary 'dad joke', but maybe a "dad's 'dad
joke'"? Fact checking has always been rather spotty in the popular press.

On 2/6/21 11:27 PM, Neal Whitman wrote:
> I did a piece for Grammar Girl on this in 2017. The OED’s earliest citation is from 1987: https://www.quickanddirtytips.com/education/grammar/what-is-a-dad-joke
>
> Neal
>
>> On Feb 6, 2021, at 7:55 AM, Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Wikipedia: "A dad joke is a short joke, typically a pun, presented as a
>> one-liner or a question and answer, but not a narrative. Generally
>> inoffensive, dad jokes are stereotypically told by fathers among family,
>> either with sincere humorous intent, or to intentionally provoke a negative
>> reaction to its overly-simplistic humor."
>>
>> I've been hearing this a lot for the last year or so: "Is that a dad joke?"
>> The question implies, "That's pretty dumb joke. Why did you tell it?"
>>
>> Essentially, "a simple quip or joke that is not very clever or funny, of a
>> sort that might be told by one's father."
>>
>> JL
>>
>> --
>> "If the truth is half as bad as I think it is, you can't handle the truth."

James Eric Lawson