[Ads-l] RES: "wyte" as perjorative spelling for "white"

David Daniel dad at COARSECOURSES.COM
Tue Feb 9 19:56:28 UTC 2021

I don't get the logic behind this being a ploy to avoid censorship. The
social media companies can just as easily track/catch "wyte" or any other
variant of white. Unless maybe they use white for a few days, then, after
that has been identified, switch to something else. But it doesn't make much
sense to me.
DAD

-----Mensagem original-----
De: American Dialect Society [mailto:ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] Em nome de
dave at WILTON.NET
Enviada em: terça-feira, 9 de fevereiro de 2021 11:24
Para: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Assunto: Re: "wyte" as perjorative spelling for "white"

The place I most often see "wyte" is by one particular tweeter, a woman = of
color. While she may have adopted it in order to avoid censorship or =
backlash, she also uses it as "wyte =3D white supremacist/racist." She =
doesn't use it to refer to white people in general (except insofar as =
we're all implicated in structural racism). That narrower usage may be = an
artifact/result of avoiding censorship/backlash, but it does create a =
semantic difference.