[Ads-l] "shot" = 'hypodermic injection' (1889)

Ben Zimmer bgzimmer at GMAIL.COM
Wed Feb 17 21:11:47 UTC 2021

Green's Dictionary of Slang has "jab" in the sense of 'an injection of a
narcotic drug' back to 1898 in US usage (HDAS/OED2 1914), with the verb 'to
inject drugs' from 1905 (HDAS 1908, OED2 1938). While it originated in the
US, the specific use for an inoculation or vaccination appears to have been
popularized in the UK military in World War II, which may explain the
term's current British tilt.

https://greensdictofslang.com/entry/i66n7hi
https://greensdictofslang.com/entry/j42sw5q