[Ads-l] wondering about the origin of "sleigh riding" in New York

Ben Zimmer bgzimmer at GMAIL.COM
Fri Jan 1 21:10:42 UTC 2021

A quick look at DARE indicates that, historically at least, it's a lot more
extensive than that. Def 2 of "sleigh" (including "sleigh riding") is
listed as "scattered, but esp South Midland, Central Atlantic, Inland
North." Citations start in 1827 in Pennsylvania.

Entry: https://www.daredictionary.com/view/dare/ID_00053234
Map: https://www.daredictionary.com/view/maps/sleigh2map.png