[Ads-l] wondering about the origin of "sleigh riding" in New York

Amy West medievalist at W-STS.COM
Sat Jan 2 13:34:20 UTC 2021

On 1/2/21 00:00, ADS-L automatic digest system wrote:
> Date:    Fri, 1 Jan 2021 22:28:30 +0000
> From:    Geoffrey Nathan<geoffnathan at WAYNE.EDU>
> Subject: Re: wondering about the origin of "sleigh riding" in New York
>
> Although the memory is a little fuzzy,
> I’m fairly sure we called them 'sleighs'
> in Toronto in the early sixties. Specifically
> Flexible Flyers and such (not to be confused
> with toboggans, which were controlled
> differently, of course).
>
> Geoff

I was a Buffalonian as a child in the early '70s, across the lake from
you, Geoff, and it's always been a "sled" to me, not sleigh. Yup, I
maintain that toboggan distinction. So, another minimal anecdotal data
point for this potential isogloss . . . ?

---Amy West