[Ads-l] Hair of the dog

Sat Jan 2 22:27:37 UTC 2021

There is a pertinent discussion on English Language & Usage Stack
Exchange. Commentator Sven Yargs presents several interesting
citations including a 1546 citation that is verifiable via Early
English Books Online (EEBO).

Website: English Language & Usage Stack Exchange
Title: The saying “Hair of the Dog”
Answer by Sven Yargs on July 26, 2019 (edited August 13, 2019)

https://english.stackexchange.com/questions/5332/the-saying-hair-of-the-dog

[Begin excerpt]
. . . relevant instances do occur in English at least as early as
1545. From John Heywood, A Dialogue Conteinyng the Nomber in Effect of
All the Prouerbes in the Englishe Tongue Compacte in a Matter
Concernyng Two Maner of Mariages (1546):
[Begin nested excerpt]
Early we rose, in haste to get awaie. / And to the hostler this
mornyng by daie / This felow calde, what how felow, thou knaue, / I
praie the leat me and my felowe haue / A heare of the dog that bote vs
last nyght. / And bytten were we both to the brayne aryght, / We sawe
eche other drunke in the good ale glas, / And so dyd eche one eche
other, that there was.
[End nested excerpt]
[End excerpt]

Searching EEBO would be much easier if there were text "overlays"
using modern spelling and phrasing. Researchers would be able to
search the original text and/or the overlay text.

Example:
Original: A heare of the dog that bote vs last nyght.
Overlay / Translation: A hair of the dog that bit us last night

It is great that part of the EEBO database is available for free. It
would be nice to have the scans in addition to the text.

Garson