[Ads-l] Dictionary transcription (was RE: A book for (some of) us)

Ben Zimmer bgzimmer at GMAIL.COM
Thu Jan 7 20:04:29 UTC 2021

The Wikipedia page on "pronunciation respelling for English" has a
comprehensive listing of phonetic spelling systems used by dictionaries and
other references.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pronunciation_respelling_for_English

The <Vh> notation isn't common among dictionaries, but it often gets used
in variationist sociolinguistics, following William Labov. Josef Fruehwald
has a post on the development of the Labovian system on his blog:

http://val-systems.blogspot.com/2018/07/why-does-labov-have-such-weird.html

--bgz