[Ads-l] waddle

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Sat Jan 23 07:35:30 UTC 2021

Ol' Bull - uh, Bill - was quite a character! Or should that be, "quite
_the_ character"?

The Brits may have lost the War of the American Rebellion, but they've been
doing unnecessarily well in the war of the dialectological miscellanea.
Even BE has gone missing, after being seriously wounded.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Stern

On Fri, Jan 22, 2021 at 3:56 PM Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Er, Bill Stern?
>
> J "Whippersnapper" L
>
> On Fri, Jan 22, 2021 at 3:49 PM Wilson Gray <hwgray at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > Smith was a popular, widely syndicated sports columnist.
> >
> > Surely, an explanation of who Bill Stern was is not yet necessary!
> >
> > On Thu, Jan 21, 2021 at 10:58 AM Jonathan Lighter <
> wuxxmupp2000 at gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > 2021 _New Yorker_ (Jan. 25) 4: A group of penguins in the water is
> > called a
> > > raft - on land, they become a waddle.
> > >
> > > OED has "raft" for aquatic birds from 1709, but no "waddle" of
> anything.
> > > How little know they of our native tongue!
> > >
> > > 1963 Red Smith, in _Philadelphia Inquirer_ (Jan. 18) 37: Mr. Lillis
> > > imported a waddle of penguins who lined up at the clubhouse gate in
> their
> > > snappy thermal attire and were the first clients admitted.
> > >
> > > 2004  Richard Spilsbury and Louise Spilsbury _A Rookery of Penguins_
> > > (Chicago: Heinemann) 29:  What is a waddle of penguins? Some people
> call
> > > group of penguins a waddle, because of the way they walk.
> > >
> > > Smith was a popular, widely syndicated sports columnist. Many zoo
> people
> > > must have read this column.
> > >
> > > JL
> > >

> > > --
> > > "If the truth is half as bad as I think it is, you can't handle the
> > truth."

> > --
> > - Wilson
> > -----
> > All say, "How hard it is that we have to die!"---a strange complaint to
> > come from the mouths of people who have had to live.
> > -Mark Twain

> --

- Wilson
-----