[Ads-l] Another weird construction

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Fri Jan 29 14:05:02 UTC 2021

Another motivation in this case might be to avoid having to employ singular agreement in “If you’re someone who was sitting at home...”, where the alternative plural agreement “If you’re someone who were sitting at home...” is even worse.  I suggest that Barrow wouldn’t have invoked the same resumptive pronoun strategy in “If he’s someone who (*he) was sitting at home…”

I seem to recall that French speakers are partially motivated to use the resumptive pronoun strategy to bypass agreement problems:  “Toi et moi, nous allons…” or “Toi et moi, on va…” rather than #Toi et moi allons…”

LH