[Ads-l] "would have"

Salikoko Mufwene mufw at UCHICAGO.EDU
Mon Feb 1 01:23:01 UTC 2021

I think the epistemic construction with "must" is stronger than the
French conditional construction. French has a counterpart of the
epistemic "must" with "devoir" + past tense, although this may be used
less often than its English counterpart with "must". The French
conditional construction corresponds to 'probably' + past tense or past
perfect. Yes, it has an evidential function.

Sali.

Salikoko S. Mufwene                    s-mufwene at uchicago.edu
The Edward Carson Waller Distinguished Service Professor of Linguistics and the College
Professor, Committee on Evolutionary Biology
Professor, Committee on the Conceptual & Historical Studies of Science
Professor, Committee on African Studies
Extraordinary Professor, University of Western Cape, 2018-2021
University of Chicago                  773-702-8531; FAX 773-834-0924
Department of Linguistics
1115 East 58th Street
Chicago, IL 60637, USA
http://mufwene.uchicago.edu/