[Ads-l] Quote: If I owned Hell and Texas, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell

Sun Jul 4 18:56:14 UTC 2021

The Quote Investigator article was updated yesterday. The new version
seems to be visible to visitors. Below is the updated acknowledgement.
Thanks to all.

https://quoteinvestigator.com/2021/07/01/texas-hell/

[Begin acknowledgement]
Great thanks to Bruce Bartlett whose inquiry led QI to formulate this
question and perform this exploration. Bartlett located a 1941 article
in “The Southwestern Historical Quarterly” that pointed to the
illuminating 1888 piece in the “Laredo Daily Times”.

Many thanks to John Baker who found the crucial citation for
Sheridan’s speech dated March 25, 1880.

Also, thanks to Stephen Goranson who pointed to the variant about
England attributed to Edwin Forrest.

In addition, thanks to Barry Popik for his pioneering research on this
topic. He located citations beginning on April 14, 1866, and he
located an instance of the Sheridan testimony dated December 19, 1883.

Further, thanks to discussant Dan Goncharoff for raising an
interesting question.
[End acknowledgement]

Garson