[Ads-l] Say what, now?

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Wed Jul 28 04:52:25 UTC 2021

>From the NYT Books Briefing:

   - In Hong Kong, police officers arrested
   <https://nl.nytimes.com/f/newsletter/GobrHo5S91-OZCQOJCa71Q~~/AAAAAQA~/RgRi4vMoP0ThaHR0cHM6Ly93d3cubnl0aW1lcy5jb20vMjAyMS8wNy8yMi93b3JsZC9hc2lhL2hvbmcta29uZy1jaGlsZHJlbi1ib29rLWFycmVzdHMuaHRtbD9jYW1wYWlnbl9pZD02OSZlbWM9ZWRpdF9ia18yMDIxMDcyNyZpbnN0YW5jZV9pZD0zNjM2NCZubD1ib29rcyZyZWdpX2lkPTU5MTA5NzUwJnNlZ21lbnRfaWQ9NjQ1NTMmdGU9MSZ1c2VyX2lkPTk5ZjNlMzdhYjRhZDdhYTBlOWIxOWFlYWVhN2RlYmRiVwNueXRCCmD-KG4AYeq8l_ZSEWJhbWdyYXlAZ21haWwuY29tWAQAAAAA>
    five people _behind_ a children’s book published last year that
   portrayed the police as wolves, the latest move in a crackdown on political
   speech.

Heretofore, I've always thought of the use of _behind_ in the meaning of
"after, as a consequence of, resulting from, subsequent to, et sim. [to the
publication of a children's book]" as a peculiarity of Black English, cf.
*behind* *prep* *2.b* in HDAS and *behind* *prep* in GDoS.

Youneverknow.

--
- Wilson
-----