[Ads-l] Say what, now? (the author 'behind' their works)

James Eric Lawson jel at NVENTURE.COM
Thu Jul 29 04:31:08 UTC 2021

This use of 'behind' might as well have begun as a cliched conceit
adopted too readily and swiftly thereafter divested of meaning:

"The artist, like the God of creation, remains within or _behind_ or
beyond or above his handiwork, invisible, refined out of existence,
indifferent, paring his fingernails."

-- Stephen Dedalus, in Chapter 5 of
_A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man_ (written 1914-5, emphasis added)

--
James Eric Lawson