[Ads-l] Zoar survivor quote=?UTF-8?Q?=E2=80=94Errol_?=Morris versions

Wed Jun 2 15:01:54 UTC 2021

The formulation under examination is sometimes employed when
contention between religious groups is discussed. Members of minority
religious groups may find themselves forced to think about the
existence of divergent beliefs.

Here is a match in 1881 within an article by a person who appears to
be a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

[ref] 1881 February 1, Deseret Evening News, Not a Political Question,
Quote Page 2, Column 1, Salt Lake City, Utah. (Newspapers_com) [/ref]

[Begin excerpt]
Some self-sufficient and supercilious "Christians" may consider that
there is no question at issue; that if the "Mormons" are not in accord
with the; "Christian" world they must be wrong from the very fact. But
if those self-satisfied persons reflect a little, they will find that
on many very important subjects they are hopelessly divided among
themselves; that the differing factions cannot all be right; that it
is possible they may all be wrong; that if they are wrong on one point
of controversy they may be on others; and that while a subject is a
question, a very small minority may be in the right. The numbers
opposed to our views count nothing with us in the argument.
[End excerpt]

Here is a match in 1890 within a Catholic periodical. The domain is
missionary work in Japan with contention between multiple Protestant
denominations and Catholics.

[ref] 1890 May 29, The Kansas Catholic, (Untitled Article), Quote Page
6, Column 2, Leavenworth, Kansas. (Newspapers_com) [/ref]

[Begin excerpt]
How confusing this must all be to the Japanese, who are just now so
willing to receive the truth!" If the Japanese have logical minds they
must say: These Protestants cannot agree among themselves; they cannot
all be right, and possibly may all be wrong. Let us examine the claims
of the Catholic Church.--Catholic News
[End excerpt]

Here is a match in 1896. The overall stance of the writer seems to be
skeptical. It is interesting, in part, because the writer mentions
several religious subgroups, e.g., Inghamites, Glassites, and
Sandemanians. Unfortunately, Zoarites are not mentioned

[ref] 1896 March 8, Reynolds's Newspaper, Superstitions of To-day,
(Letter to the editor of Reynolds's Newspaper), Quote Page 2, Column
4, London, England. (Newspapers_com) [/ref]

[Begin excerpt]
Although in recent times superstitions have been disposed of by the
thousand, we have managed, by constant replenishing, to keep almost as
many in stock at present as there were before these clearances. The
old gives place to the new, and some forms of credulity that once were
"all the rage" are now very much out of date. In superstitions, as in
other things, we are the slaves of fashion . . .

In 1894 this little island boasted 278 religious denominations, and.
fifteen more were added last year, bringing the total up to close upon
300. Amongst these we find such strangely-named organizations as the
Inghamites, the Glassites, the Ranters, the Dependents, the Recreative
Religionists, the Sandemanians, the Alethians, the Christian Zoce
Perissos Society, and the Holiness and Divine Healing movement. Now,
what are we to think of the wild worshippers who label themselves
after this fashion?

They may number amongst them many estimable men and women. But why do
they thus separate themselves from their fellows? If unity is
strength, where is the advantage of this sub-division into 300
fragments? They cannot all be right, although they may all be wrong. I
would suggest, as a way out of the difficulty, that the faith-healers
should be called together to pray for the healing of all the diseased
faiths.

We are on the threshold of the twentieth century, as various people
have already remarked. Is it to be a century of scientific thought or
another century of superstition--which?
GRACCHUS.
[End excerpt]

Garson