[Ads-l] mulligan (golf)--warning: speculative

Stephen Goranson goranson at DUKE.EDU
Tue Jun 8 13:14:12 UTC 2021

Thanks, Garson; that might lead somewhere.
Both of the quotations from Dave Wilton yesterday (June 7) are repeats from his blog and before that Peter's blog. Been there; read that.
These are not, imo, slam dunk connections to a golf mulligan. And the Swat Milligan name spelling did persist as well; one might reasonably expect at least some appearances of that spelling in the proposal. Anyone? I've been mistaken before, but I call special pleading.

Not to leave on that--and maybe we agree that a specific golfer named Mulligan is not proven as the source--here's what may be a very small lead. O. O. McIntyre (1884-1938) was a long-time newspaper columnist, including the long-running "New York Day by Day.". OED's first quotation is:
"1936   Big Springs (Texas) Daily Herald 5 May 4/5   Another McIntyre-ism is the use of the ‘mulligan’—links-ology for a second shot employed after a previously dubbed shot."
Given excellent researchers here (I've failed on this so far): which McIntyre column (if column it was) and what date? Please?

Stephen Goranson

________________________________
From: American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU> on behalf of ADSGarson O'Toole <adsgarsonotoole at GMAIL.COM>
Sent: Monday, June 7, 2021 8:41 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Subject: Re: mulligan (golf)--warning: speculative

While exploring the term "mulligan" I came across a semantically
related set of terms: a "'No Alibi' golf event" and an "alibi shot".
An "alibi shot" is a second shot without penalty, i.e., a mulligan. A
"'No Alibi' golf event" is an event in which each participant is
allowed a limited number of "alibi shots", e.g., five.

Here is an explanation for the "alibi" term: After a tournament an
individual who did not win would sometimes complain that one or two
bad shots ruined their score. These bad shots provided an alibi. A "No
Alibi" tournament made this type of excuse impossible.

The first citations for "alibi" with the pertinent sense occurred by
1927, and they continued into the 1930s. I have not yet located a
crossover between "alibi shot" and "mulligan". Nevertheless, future
researchers may find the citations below helpful because they reveal
that the concept of a "mulligan" was being employed in the 1920s under
a different name.