[Ads-l] glory

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Wed Jun 9 17:58:04 UTC 2021

Historically "glory" was something sought after and respected (as in the
title of the 1989 movie); now it is something widely dismissed.

Cf.:

1851 Hannah Ransome Geldart  _Stories of Scotland and its Adjacent Islands_
(London: A. Hall) 150-151: And yet in this our nineteenth century, it is
not uncommon to hear war excused, nay, even extolled. Boys are wont to read
of battles in history with all the interest that they would feel in an
exciting cricket match; and, in fancy, stand upon the battle field, caring
little for the wounded or the dying around, if but their favorite side win
the day. There is no glory in battle, children; it cannot be too often
sounded in your ears. There is no glory in war. Look at Culloden. It is not
an extreme case.

JL