[Ads-l] ten-shun; ten-hut

Fri Mar 5 21:44:11 UTC 2021

Militia Eloquence—Who's Afeerd?

            We are not informed which of our gallant militia officers made
the following *spirit*-ed address to his warriors at the last general
review:

            "Friends, Countrymen, and Sodgers!  "Tenshun Squad!  This is a
great country, and has got a tareing start among the white nations and
injuus of the airth.  What makes it great?   Whar does the conglomerated
elementum of its greatness cum from?  I answer — jist bring your right foot
into line there, Sargeant Smike — l answer in a voice of hash thunder, the
militia!  ***

            Rockland County Journal (Nyack, N. Y.), July 24, 1852

I was going to post the whole screed here, as a mid-19th century rendering
of a dialect, but then an unaccustomed spriit of kindness broke through.
The piece goes on and on, and is full of eye-dialect and mangled
malapropisms, some so very malaproppy that I can't even guess what the
underlying word might be.

Did I mention the typos?  The "injuus of the airth" are no doubt "injuns".
This is a cleaned-up transcription by a easily-fooled OCR, which is often
baffled by "n"s and "u"s, but not here.

Anyway.  The full text will be provided, upon request.

GAT

--
George A. Thompson
Univ. Pr., 1998.

But when aroused at the Trump of Doom / Ye shall start, bold kings, from
your lowly tomb. . .
L. H. Sigourney, "Burial of Mazeen", Poems.  Boston, 1827, p. 112

The Trump of Doom -- also known as The Dunghill Toadstool.  (Here's a
picture of his great-grandfather.)
http://www.parliament.uk/worksofart/artwork/james-gillray/an-excrescence---a-fungus-alias-a-toadstool-upon-a-dunghill/3851