[Ads-l] Skedaddle, skedaddling (incremental antedating to 1858?; 1859)

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Tue Mar 16 23:07:23 UTC 2021

More great work, Bonnie.

Of more general interest:

1862 _Bristol Mercury and Daily Post_ (Oct. 25) 6:  YANKEE VILLAGES.--The
following are names of post villages in the United States, copied
_verbatim_ from the official Post-office Directory:--Social Circle,
Sociality, Tenth Legion, Number One, Number Two, Why Not, Wild Cat, Uncle
Sam, Usquebaugh, Lucky Hit, Esperance, Marrow Bone, Oat Meal, Lion,
Bugaboo, Little Muddy, Little Chuckey, Lion Beard, Joe's Lick, Bug Swamp,
Coffee, Gentry, Dirty-town, Halfmoon, Hat, Hartshorn, Halfday, Haystack,
Henpeck, Sub Rosa, Skidaddle, Queer-street, Ticklewhat, Hoganmogan,
Dustyfoot.

Further deponent sayeth not.

JL