[Ads-l] Cyprus cat

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Fri Mar 19 22:10:34 UTC 2021

OED: 1857

1806 John Black _The Falls of Clyde_ (Edinburgh: Creech) 172: Speak, Symon,
saw ye ought of our poor cat?...Your cyprus cat?   Ibid. 225: Reddish-brown
cats are called Cyprus cats in upper Clydesdale, for what reason I know not.

1806   Alexander Aitchison _Encyclopaedia Perthensis_ (Perth: Mitchel) IX
438: The BLUE or CYPRUS cat, is of a blue grey color, or greyish black. It
is much cultivated in Siberia on account of its fine fur; and was brought
there with the other domestic kinds by the Russians.

JL