[Ads-l] antedating medallion

Tue Mar 23 05:05:56 UTC 2021

Great work James and Peter. Below is an entertaining 1913 citation.
The word medallion is not employed in this article, but I think the
following excerpt helps to illuminate the motivation for creating
medallions of the type mentioned in "The Guardian" article.

A taxi driver stated that the ugly badge endangered his love life and
matrimonial prospects. He proposed replacing the badge with a stylish
medal that could be affixed to a cap.

Date: 30 October 1913
Newspaper: Yorkshire Evening Post
Newspaper Location:
Article: What the Public Think - Taxi-Drivers and Badges
Quote Page 3, Column 4
Database: British Newspaper Archive

[Begin excerpt]
TAXI-DRIVERS AND BADGES.
Sir,—I  was a taxi-driver for twelve months, and I was compelled to
give up my situation because of the unsightly badge on my breast. My
lady friend, who is now my wife, refused to speak to me in the street
when she saw me with my badge on, and I had to choose between the
badge and my sweetheart. I decided to give up the badge and therefore
the situation with it. I had frequently noticed my friends pass me by,
and I wondered what was the cause.
The Watch Committee should supply the drivers with nice medals which
could be worn in the caps.—Yours, etc., MYSTIC FINGER.
[End excerpt]

Garson