[Ads-l] Flash Press

Thu Mar 25 18:07:29 UTC 2021

I did very extensive reading in these magazines 20 years ago or more, when
they were only available in a 3-reel microfilm collection, made by the AAS
but not for sale -- available only through interlibrary loan.

They were very interesting, for several reasons.  I was interested in the
slang, but there was a good deal to be teased out of them about low-life in
NYC.
One or two were strikingly illustrated -- see the masthead of the Broadway
Omnibus reproduced in the article.  It seems from my notes, that only one
issue of the Omnibus was in the microfilms -- unfortunate.
A few issues of a few of these journals were reported by other libraries.
It would be nice if Readex has found these and included them.

In short, I'll look forward to getting access to the database.

And, regrettably, I do not descend from George Thompson, the distinguished
pornographer.  Nor from anyone else of distinction in any field, as far as
I know.

GAT

--
George A. Thompson
Univ. Pr., 1998.

But when aroused at the Trump of Doom / Ye shall start, bold kings, from
your lowly tomb. . .
L. H. Sigourney, "Burial of Mazeen", Poems.  Boston, 1827, p. 112

The Trump of Doom -- also known as The Dunghill Toadstool.  (Here's a
picture of his great-grandfather.)
http://www.parliament.uk/worksofart/artwork/james-gillray/an-excrescence---a-fungus-alias-a-toadstool-upon-a-dunghill/3851